The Sikh Story: 1984 - Bbc 1 Documentary & Discussions On The Sikh Channel

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She told fans: ‘Time to shut this fan page down guys. Sorry. I know loadsof you have been superb, but a small minority have not understood what I am/am not in control of personally.’

So was she de-faming santji for prime time? moh maya ahankaar!

I think Sonia was a bit naive, the real drivers behind the anti Sikh comments from the BBC were Mandeep Singh Bajwa (India Locationn Producer) and Mark Tully (Long term BBC India Correspondent). Its these two the BBC should be questioned on.

Guest PunjabSingh

I think the Sikh community did the right thing by criticizing this BBC program and Sonia Deol as it will serve as a lesson to any other such so called Sikh person who in future tries to do such a biased program and then get away claiming that he/she was just an anchor of the program or a camera man or an editor or whatver and was not directly connected to the views expressed in the program.

Programs by such half baked Sikhs who have little knowledge of the religion and have spent their whole life in foreign countries aloof from their religions basics do more harm to us than good.

In future any such program should be passed by a Sikh committee or Sikh censor board before being aired.

1984 is such a sensitive issue that Sikh community can not allow any one to play with it .

Congratulations to the Sikhs in UK .Now they should make BBC tender an apology and perhaps make another documentary giving the truth.Sikhs should boycott BBC till BBC and Tommy Nagra,Sonia Deol and others apologise.

We in Punjab or India dont have the guts to boycott anti Sikh programs here but even if we did it would hardly make any difference to the India media channels.

Guest PunjabSingh

She told fans: 'Time to shut this fan page down guys. Sorry. I know loadsof you have been superb, but a small minority have not understood what I am/am not in control of personally.'

So was she de-faming santji for prime time? moh maya ahankaar!

Yes small minority !

The same phrase was used by Indian govt and Indian media "a small minority" when killing Sikhs in Punjab in 1980/90s.

The bahmanvaadi media used to say this each time Sikhs were killed in fake encounters "Muthi bhar (small minority)atankvaadi(at that time Sikhs) jo Pakistan kee sheh per Punjab mein antankvaad phailaa rahay hain ..."

Saying this they killed 2 lakh Sikhs from 1978 till today and imprisoned an unknown number of Sikhs who are still languishing in jail .

Perhaps Sonia Deol has learnt this phrase "a small minority" from the Congress man Mandeep Bajwa.

As far as the media are concerned, good/bad controversy equals publicity so no doubt the BBC as well as Sonia Deol are loving the attention the programme has got. The BBC probably aren't too concerned about the Sikh viewpoint because we don't have strong bodies in place who can lobby them when they make incorrect statements or programmes concerning the Sikhs. BBC News for example. When an incident takes place involving Pakistanis, the term Asian is always used. When an incident occurs involving Sikhs, they do not hesitate to mention Sikh and if I remember correctly they recently displayed a khanda for a story concerning a rapist who was of Sikh appearance. The BBC would never dare make an ill researched programme about the Jewish Holocaust purely due to the headache they would get from the Jews after. It is a shame because overall the BBC is a broadcaster many believe is impartial.

Additionally, I doubt any Sikh's are on the board with the BBC so we can not have any input. Until Sikhs begin to fill these positions, BBC will hapilly use those like Bajwa unaware of their agendas. I am not sure whether Sonia is a presenter alone or a journalist as well. As she is an occasional news presenter, I would assume she has some journalistic training therefore regardless of whether it is a personal journey or not, as per the news stories she reports, equally she should have researched this progamme to give a true balanced programme. If it was purely her story, why was there need to attach Sikh to the title. I'm sure 1984 - Sonia's Story would have sufficed.

Incidentally, researcher Jay Singh Sohal was briefly a presenter on Brit Asia TV. Maybe the Sikh Channel can conduct an interview with him discussing what was researched and why key elements were missed. It's not fair that Sonias letting everything fall on the researchers heads.

The good thing coming out of this programme is just the sheer number of people that are talking about 1984. Those who want the Sikhs to forget about the events have had a shock. The Daily Mail said 8,000 people rang the Sikh Cahnnel about the programme. I suppose it was better than Radio 4 programme that tried to link Sikhs with Terrorists having Sunny Hundal and some communist Punjabis taking part. Sonia did relise she was a Sikh at the end.

As far as the media are concerned, good/bad controversy equals publicity so no doubt the BBC as well as Sonia Deol are loving the attention the programme has got. The BBC probably aren't too concerned about the Sikh viewpoint because we don't have strong bodies in place who can lobby them when they make incorrect statements or programmes concerning the Sikhs. BBC News for example. When an incident takes place involving Pakistanis, the term Asian is always used. When an incident occurs involving Sikhs, they do not hesitate to mention Sikh and if I remember correctly they recently displayed a khanda for a story concerning a rapist who was of Sikh appearance. The BBC would never dare make an ill researched programme about the Jewish Holocaust purely due to the headache they would get from the Jews after. It is a shame because overall the BBC is a broadcaster many believe is impartial.

Additionally, I doubt any Sikh's are on the board with the BBC so we can not have any input. Until Sikhs begin to fill these positions, BBC will hapilly use those like Bajwa unaware of their agendas. I am not sure whether Sonia is a presenter alone or a journalist as well. As she is an occasional news presenter, I would assume she has some journalistic training therefore regardless of whether it is a personal journey or not, as per the news stories she reports, equally she should have researched this progamme to give a true balanced programme. If it was purely her story, why was there need to attach Sikh to the title. I'm sure 1984 - Sonia's Story would have sufficed.

Incidentally, researcher Jay Singh Sohal was briefly a presenter on Brit Asia TV. Maybe the Sikh Channel can conduct an interview with him discussing what was researched and why key elements were missed. It's not fair that Sonias letting everything fall on the researchers heads.

People need to realise that sonia is ona huge ego trip - frist its her personal story then its sikhs vs sonia now shes not to blame for reseach. Can we now let this issue go away and not keep feeding it with fuel. All it does is make our community look bad.

People need to realise that sonia is ona huge ego trip - frist its her personal story then its sikhs vs sonia now shes not to blame for reseach. Can we now let this issue go away and not keep feeding it with fuel. All it does is make our community look bad.

Are you saying that she is now blaming the likes of Bajwa and JS Sohal now?