Sikh women wearing clothing in the Gudwara

Guest H

TO THE GIRLS AND ESPECIALLY BOYS WITH LOW RISE PANTS or the ones that have pulled them down purposely for the sake of fashion.

In no sense what so ever is it appealing to see your large hairy crack when you mahtta thek or sit down. Utterly disgusting!

It happens so often these days that one day my dad got pissed and told one of the guys “oi pant kiche le – teri pant gir rahi hai” rotfl.

Mega lol

TO THE GIRLS AND ESPECIALLY BOYS WITH LOW RISE PANTS or the ones that have pulled them down purposely for the sake of fashion.

In no sense what so ever is it appealing to see your large hairy crack when you mahtta thek or sit down. Utterly disgusting!

It happens so often these days that one day my dad got pissed and told one of the guys “oi pant kiche le – teri pant gir rahi hai” rotfl.

Come on got to air it out sometimes for the guys, it's all healthy

Hello sangat ji, I cant believe how much of an issue this is. It is simple plain common sense, that one should dress appropriately to gurdwara at all times. At gurdwara I see all sorts of sangat coming in flashing body parts, flashing under garments, hair open, see through salwars etc and its very distressing. Its distressing when I sometimes catch the male sangat staring at them and then girls complain as to 'why is he staring at me? etc'. The answer is very simple, you either need to cover yourselves up more or you're basically asking for it. When we go to have conversations with Maharaji we go with humility, which means there is no need to show off the latest designs of you're suits etc. and hair must always be tied. I mean seriously, how can one do the matha tek if your hair is going to be all over the place. Most of all you should feel comfortable with what you're wearing so, that full concentration is either focused on listening to katha, kirtan, gurbani or doing seva. I am a girl, in my 20's I've been going to gurdwara for the last 7 years regularly. I knew from day one myself that if want respect I must earn it, so covering up/dressing appropriately was and is my first priority.

My post is heavily influenced on how girls dress, as this is what I see at my local gurdwara. As for boys, if they expect girls to dress appropriately, then we ask the same from you. It really is simple.

If any of the sangat feels hurt by my straightforward post, then I apologise.

Guest Singh is King

Very simple view ...We are sikh people whether We are baptized sikh people or Non baptized sikh people,We are not supposed to be attracted to the fashion and glamour world. Simplicity is the main symbol of sikhism.

We are supposed to believe in real facts not in imaginary world of pleasurable things. We believe in real beauty as god gives us..We are not supposed to make any changes in this beauty for the sake of fashionable society .

Whether its Gurudwara or Anywhere else like parties,weddings,,schools,,colleges .Everywhere sikh people should wear such garments that vulgarity and indecency of a person don't show..

If you think You are being attracted to the fashionable world and Want to live like other people do in fashionable society and feel you cannot live with simplicity then its okay no one is forcing you to live like as sikh just leave it and get mixed with others but then don't consider yourself as sikh for any pride or self interest for accomplishing self motives .. At least it will help in reducing the hypocrisy among the sikh people..And those True sikhs who are living according to sikhi can be mentors for the coming generations..

Also, if men are allowed to wear sleepless tops in the Gurdwara and vests, then this entire thread should apply to both not just women because that is really sexist. We fought and led armies in Guru Gobind Singh Ji's times and in sure women are preparing and readying themselves to do the same again in case the situation arises- please do not forget that.

Even as a guy why would you want to wear a sleveless top at the Gurdwara? And yes I do have the arms to carry it off, but I'm also very self-aware of how I come across and to wear such an item at a Gurdwara when you should be focusing on your relaltionship with God, it just seems wholly inappropriate.

I saw men in bana in the Gurdwara the other day and their legs were showing. People need to stop being so dirty minded.

Just because someone's skin is showing doesn't mean they're trying to seduce anyone- we are not all going to dress the same, this is a different time- we do not live in a dictatorship- we're allowed to dress how we want while staying pure in description of Khalsa as described in Sarbloah Granth Sahib Ji by Guru Ji.

I'm a woman and didn't get excited over seeing men's legs, so a man shouldnt be affected by a woman's body even if theyre naked. That is discipline. I wouldn't judge someone if they ran around in a paper bag. People cannot control their dirty minds so try to make laws that fit in with their own inadequacies. I understand not showing your underwear in a gurwarra, but a sleevless top or a decent skirt, seriously? We are not fanatical muslims- my grandma shows a whole lot of arm and my aunt wears low cut suits to the gurwarra (she is in her 60's). Id like to see someone tell her to cover up, she'd beat the crap out of u!

Guru Nanak donned Muslim dress in Mecca, I bet many modern day Sikhs would have scoffed at him were he alive. Guru Gobind Singh Ji dressed as a king- I bet these same snobby Sikhs would have judged him. how can a whole bunch of proclaimed Sikhs of the Guru can ignore the teaching of the most important part of gurbani- to make effort to kill the ego- snobbery, judging and looking down on others is not part of Sikhi.

But remaining lowest of the low, to live at others feet is.

Guest Dharampal singh

Most people think the gurdwara is a community party hall...what irritates me the most is when women and children dont cover their heads in the darbar when the guru granth sahib is present....and nobody does anything and carry on ignoring it like its ok, while the giani talks about kadar of siki and guru granth mahraj.

I saw men in bana in the Gurdwara the other day and their legs were showing. People need to stop being so dirty minded.

Just because someone's skin is showing doesn't mean they're trying to seduce anyone- we are not all going to dress the same, this is a different time- we do not live in a dictatorship- we're allowed to dress how we want while staying pure in description of Khalsa as described in Sarbloah Granth Sahib Ji by Guru Ji.

I'm a woman and didn't get excited over seeing men's legs, so a man shouldnt be affected by a woman's body even if theyre naked. That is discipline. I wouldn't judge someone if they ran around in a paper bag. People cannot control their dirty minds so try to make laws that fit in with their own inadequacies. I understand not showing your underwear in a gurwarra, but a sleevless top or a decent skirt, seriously? We are not fanatical muslims- my grandma shows a whole lot of arm and my aunt wears low cut suits to the gurwarra (she is in her 60's). Id like to see someone tell her to cover up, she'd beat the crap out of u!

Guru Nanak donned Muslim dress in Mecca, I bet many modern day Sikhs would have scoffed at him were he alive. Guru Gobind Singh Ji dressed as a king- I bet these same snobby Sikhs would have judged him. how can a whole bunch of proclaimed Sikhs of the Guru can ignore the teaching of the most important part of gurbani- to make effort to kill the ego- snobbery, judging and looking down on others is not part of Sikhi.

But remaining lowest of the low, to live at others feet is.

Benji, your post is quite amusing.

So your 60 year old aunt gets her jugs out in the Gurdwara, - “koi sharam nahi?”

Do you not realize where you are? This is the house of God, would you dress like this if you went to go see a sant mahapursh let alone Guru Nanak Dev Ji, BTW Guru Nanak Dev Ji is still with us, Guru Ji never went away.

On one hand you say we should “kill the ego” and on the other your aunt would beat the crap out of u, what about her ego? At the gurdwara be the lowest of the low only then will you achieve any spirituality, why you think people wipe and clear sangats shoes ? clean the toilets? This is not about judging or snobbery this is about common sense, this is about respect for your Guru.