Ramadan

Guest dasguruka

Guest dasguruka

40%?? Zakat the Muslim equivalent to our Daswand is only 2.5%. Our Daswand is a whole 10%.

Heard it in a katha by Giani Thakur Singh Ji that's why I mentioned it

^ I apologise for the harshness... Obviously devout Muslims don't get drunk or harass women!

But I have devout Muslim friends and to me it seems the attitude that Ramadan is the holiest month is a prevalent thought and then they relax more in their rehit/devotion after Eid. I believe that is because in the long run keeping the rehit of ramadan is not practical and its difficult to live a gristi jeevan! I work with devout muslims and they could never continue the fast for long after ramadan even if they wanted too. Not taking any liquids is very difficult... food is another matter. I personally dont eat anything all day out of laziness/ and available time and do so with ease, No water however is hard.

I just think instead of wasting your time and effort could be better spent doing Seva rather than starving/dehydrating yourself on purpose.

If you are a student or something and happen to be in the immediate company of muslims during their Ramadan and feel guilty eating, then go ahead and fast !

But you should know full well what gurbani says about empty rituals.

Yes most of the muslims I have ever know do have an almighty feast in the evening and for breakfast, therefore they are not contributing their allowance of food for any needy persons in any way.

The whole ide should be about 'sacrfice'. ie. if you sacrifice and give up your meal for those that are in more need. Then whether you are a Sikh or muslim, it doesn't matter. You should know that Guru Nanak ji gave his money and food to feed the needy sadhus. So as Sikhs we should do the same if we get the opportunity.

This does NOT mean skip a meal, donate it and then pig out later on something more juicy.

It should NOT be about the food but it should be about the HUNGER. To fulfill or get rid of another's Hunger by going hungry yourself should be the manner.

We can all get rid of another's hunger by buying them food or donating some money/food, BUT how about we get 'Rid of their hunger by taking the hunger away from them and experiencing it ourselves instead??''

This is what a true Sikh should do.

In my opinion this is NOT empty and not the fasting that Gurbani warns us about.

Every living Sikh that has the privilege of all guaranteed meals should do this when the chance or need may arise.

So the OP Dasguruka can participate in the Sikh and Guru Nanak Dev ji manner to give up his meal if he wishes, because this then becomes a bigger and better service than simple Ramadan fasting.

Good Luck and don't get put off by extreme anti-ritual views.

ਤੀਰਥ ਵਰਤ ਸੁਚਿ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨਹੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥

O Nanak, emancipation comes only by loving devotional worship; through duality, people are engrossed in duality. ||2||

Gurbani updesh is for whole humanity, this pavitar vaak about rituals turned into dogma applies to everyone including sikhs off course... whoever have turned rituals into dogma/ empty rituals.

In most Muslim countries the restaurants and food outlets have to close down during the daylight hours. Non-Muslims can be beaten up and arrested if they eat anything in public because this will offend Muslims!

That used to happen a lot back in the days. Now ever since they started surviving on bones thrown at them by the US, they've softened up a bit and become slightly more civilized.

That used to happen a lot back in the days. Now ever since they started surviving on bones thrown at them by the US, they've softened up a bit and become slightly more civilized.

This shows how superficial the faith really is in Muslims. If it was other religions, they would consider it as a challenge and a way for a person to be stronger in their faith. In Muslims the sight of non-Muslims eating while Muslims are fasting is seen as insulting!

Sometimes I think Islam is a bit like 'the emperor's new clothes'. Everyone is saying the same thing because they hear others say the same.