Sant Ji's views on "monay"

14 hours ago, puzzled said:

When I went Punjab I was told I look like a "gyani" by many of them. My cousin said everyone is cutting their hair here, why are go keeping it now.

But imo there still is some sort of reverence towards dharam in Punjab, very limited, but something is there. There is some sort of fear in a higher power, a little bit, lol 

But I don't think this is because of Sikhi but because other superstitions they believe in. There is a lot of overlap when it comes to practices in Punab. 

Stuff like that sobers me up when I'm in danger of being swept away with high and noble ideas of doing something for "my people" in Punjab. They wouldn't do a pashaab on me even if I was on fire. They're stirred primarily by grossly shallow and materialistic passions, and they even manage to taint beautiful spiritual and religious ideals with soul crushing pendu-punna. That fear of a higher power is a double-edged sword IMO; i don't think it's indicative of anything beyond superstition in their minds.

Look at how they were emotionally moved to up-sticks and decamp en masse in the Indian capital when their precious jameen is under threat. Yet, when these same people are willing to have their own brothers, sisters, and other family murdered for claiming their own just rights to this same jameen, where is their sense of justice and propriety then? Hypocrites. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Stuff like that sobers me up when I'm in danger of being swept away with high and noble ideas of doing something for "my people" in Punjab. They wouldn't do a pashaab on me even if I was on fire. They're stirred primarily by grossly shallow and materialistic passions, and they even manage to taint beautiful spiritual and religious ideals with soul crushing pendu-punna. That fear of a higher power is a double-edged sword IMO; i don't think it's indicative of anything beyond superstition in their minds.

Look at how they were emotionally moved to up-sticks and decamp en masse in the Indian capital when their precious jameen is under threat. Yet, when these same people are willing to have their own brothers, sisters, and other family murdered for claiming their own just rights to this same jameen, where is their sense of justice and propriety then? Hypocrites. 

Yeah he asked me if my face is itchy because of my dhari, I said no, then he was like if he grew his dhari out his face would be very itchy. 

Is it any surprise that boys end up cutting their hair when they become teenagers, when their own people are making jokes about them. When your a teenager you become very conscious of your appearance, on top of that you look different, and on top of that your own friends and family are calling you baba ji! 

It's not your own Punjabi friends and family which discourage you from following Sikhi, not your non Sikh friends or colleagues. 

I'm not sure why our people are like this? When did it start? I can remember as far back as the late 90s and early 2000s and it was already there. At some point it all went wrong, things took a turn, and Sikhs ended up becoming a joke in their own community. 

Yeah I think thos fear in a higher power comes from the superstitions they believe in. They believe the baba/jagga they worship will curse them and become destructive of they don't obey or worship it.

Where my family are from the biggest and most popular place is a jagga of a baba who died a long time back. Not sure if be was a Hindu or Muslim but it's a tomb. While the Gurdwara in our pind manages to attract around 5 people on Sunday for Rehras Sahib, this jagga normally ends up with 3 long queues of people, takes around half an hour to get in. The langar is very busy and it's mainly young guys doing sewa. 

I personally feel very odd going to a tomb! But I tag along because I don't want to offend my family or relatives! 

But the thing is, atleast there still is some belief in something! Atleast there is still some sewa, perhaps this would eventually lead them to Sikhi ?  Atleast theres still something there, some hope for spiritual progression ? 

Here in the UK all these young lot are not far from becoming atheists. There's just nothing there. 

Just my opinion ... 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

They'd murder you if you had a plot or two under your name, while your on holiday in India  lmao 

The fojis in the UK get it the worst though, their brothers, and even mothers, start seeing them as a cash cow. Their brothers take their jameen, start stashing money for their kids future and marriages, get a koti made, buy some more jameen, and when these fojis go back to Pubjab after 20 years to get married, their own brothers turn against them, the mothers often support this behaviour.

A lot of the time when the fojis are in the UK and past the age of 40, their brothers in india think that it's too late for them to get married, so all the jameen and wealth will be ours. They're absolutely horrified when the foji gets a passport and turns up in India. 

@MisterrSingh

I've heard stories about people in Punjab killing NRIs, cooking them and having them for dinner  LMAO   I'm not even joking!   I've heard these things.

They were once discussing about Biharis on one of the Sikh channels. You know Biharis are murdering Punjabis as well and taking over their jameen and houses. Some NRIs build kotis and leave the Bihari families to take care and supervise the koti and when the NRIs return a year or two later the Biharis drive them out and tell them it's their house now. 

They were discussing how a Bihari who killed the son of the Pubjabi guy he was working for, cooked his body and ate it and also gave some meat to the boys father to eat. It's only when the boys father found the ring of his son in the meat he realised it was his son! So the boys father dragged the Bihari to that machine, it's like a wheel with blades and they cut crops with it, the boys dad stuck the Biharis head into the machine and shredded him.   It's a true story! 

It's a messed up place! 

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

They'd murder you if you had a plot or two under your name, while your on holiday in India  lmao 

The fojis in the UK get it the worst though, their brothers, and even mothers, start seeing them as a cash cow. Their brothers take their jameen, start stashing money for their kids future and marriages, get a koti made, buy some more jameen, and when these fojis go back to Pubjab after 20 years to get married, their own brothers turn against them, the mothers often support this behaviour.

A lot of the time when the fojis are in the UK and past the age of 40, their brothers in india think that it's too late for them to get married, so all the jameen and wealth will be ours. They're absolutely horrified when the foji gets a passport and turns up in India. 

I know a foji going through the exact situation you've described above. Exact. He and his missus are always posting those vague yet obviously pointed and passive-aggressive WhatsApp statuses that allude to their situation with greedy family members back home, lmao. He's being rinsed dry by his parents and siblings back home despite him having a young family and a new mortgage to pay over here. He says his siblings back home waste his money on mobile phones and clothes for which he grafts nights. He's 8 years younger than me but the stress has made him look as if he's 8 years older. What benefit and positive influence has Sikhi bestowed upon these people? What good are these types of Sikhs doing in the world? Are these people worth losing everything for?

32 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Its important to balance the 2. Without emotion and compassion your empty and soulless, far from being a Sikh. But like you said without being critical then you won't survive, people will take advantage and destroy you.

When helping others, imo its important not to get too emotionally involved. Some people especially in our community want to help others and expect the person to be thankful and want a pat on the back. 

Help others, its our dharam to help, but don't get too emotionally involved  or attached. And if people are expecting a thank you in return then they are kind of missing the point, and probably will be disappointed. 

Its not just people back home, my sister knows a Pakistani lady who used to give money to a homeless man everyday while walking to work. One day she didn't have money and apologised  and the homeless guy resorted to calling the poor lady every name under the sun! the lady was gob smacked and said to him that she's been helping him everyday and one day she didn't have money who starts swearing at her, he didn't care and continued calling her names.

Fact is, a lot of people that you help, don't actually give a hoot about you, lol

Biting the hand that feeds you is the way for many people.

What should do in that situation?

You obviously can't stop helping people because of this, its our dharam to help. That's why its important not to get too emotionally involved when you help.

People who help and expect some gratitude, end up stop helping people in these situations.

Its the same with helping people in India, they behave the same.

For a few weeks I volunteered with feeding homeless people . They can be very ungrateful, call you names, and tell you that the food is disgusting and that they would have preferred something else. But I and the other volunteers weren't there to receive a thank you and some gratitude. People volunteered simply because they wanted to help!

In India you will be going through your pocket to give money to homeless kids, while another kid will be trying to stick his/her hand in your pocket and nick something.

unfortunately its just the way the world is.

Its why i kind of feel sorry for people who had a cute, sheltered upbringing, their shocked when they finally realise the way the world is, lol!

In India we've had our own family nicking our things, drivers charging us extra for petrol, the workers nicking our clothes, money and belongings, relatives whispering and when you walk into the room the whispering stops and they have big smiles, lol.   In my nanke pind one year my family were sorting all the old clothes out from the wardrobe on the 2nd floor, and when they came downstairs for tea I saw one of the workers throwing a big black bag full of the clothes outside the wall of the house onto the street and calling someone down there to grab it. I saw him doing that, he also saw me looking at him, his face went blue, he then gave me a scared/awkward smile and walked off. I decided not to tell anyone .... 

Waheguru ji is watching everything though ... 

Our dharam is an empathic one.

And the problem with the empathic members of our Sangat, there is a covert understanding in our heads in that we should expect something back.

However, like you mentioned about the lack of gratitude. 

The trick is to be outcome independent. Don't expect anything back and don't be reliant on getting anything. 

If you get some gratitude that's nice, if you don't then it is also good.

37 minutes ago, imhosingh said:

Can you call yourself a part of an army regiment if you don't wear the uniform , abide by your oath to that regiment, abide by it's rules? Nah, it's like you or me going around saying we are part of the SAS. Personally , I think guru ji quite clear on what a Sikh is and the ultimate judge of it is not me or you. Sikhi is quite simple (guru ji wanted it accessable to all), so am I a khalsa? Nah, but it's something I hope I'll be able to achieve in this life or ones down the road.

That's true bro. I feel what you're saying.At the same time, in the analogy of the military there are militia forces, coalition or allied forces, ad hoc units, brigades. 

Outside of the military analogy "there are friends and family of".

Leadership however should remain within the uniform Khalsa. Who should keep an eye on their own ranks. Shoot Modi hid as a Sikh.