Alleged Hate/Racist ACT BY WEST MIDLANDS POLICE OFFICER

Premi5

8 hours ago, Premi5 said:

This is one of the *best* posts I've read here recently. You answered my question in such a way that I think not only has it educated/helped me, but anyone else reading this. 

How much of this is through your own personal experience, or of those close to you ?

AND, I thought Police encounters nowadays all involve them having a bodycam ?

Yeah. Thing about that is any time they do something horrible it's turned off or malfunctions. Even with freedom of information act requests here, you can file it...that incriminating video isn't surfacing though. It's corrupted. ...the video that is...

• 1 month later...

Been more than a month, no update to what's happening, but WMP seem to be full of 'wrong uns' - there might be a high threshold for getting justice if what is alleged to have happened, happened to the Singh. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/sacked-disgraced-west-midlands-police-22247141

Sacked - Disgraced West Midlands police officers who have lost their jobs

Sexual advances and assaults among reasons for dismissals

By
Richard GuttridgeAgenda Editor
  • 05:30, 27 NOV 2021

Eighteen West Midlands Police officers were sacked from the force over the last two years as dozens more faced disciplinary action, new figures have revealed.

Another nineteen former officers would have lost their jobs were they still with the force.

Officers were hauled before disciplinary panels for a range of indiscretions including making sexual advances towards vulnerable victims and assaults.

Most were able to keep their jobs in the force, instead receiving punishments such as demotions and final written warnings.

But the actions of some officers were deemed to be so serious by force chiefs they were sacked.

The data has been published in a new report and it comes at a time when police forces are under intense scrutiny following the murder of Sarah Everard by Met officer Wayne Couzens in London earlier this year.

Eighteen West Midlands officers have been dismissed without notice since 2019. A further nineteen former officers "would have been dismissed" were they still serving with the force.

Thirteen officers were issued with final written warnings and another 13 a less serious written warning. One officer was demoted to a lesser rank while 11 others were given 'management advice'.

CID officer Kelly Morris was sacked and handed a suspended jail sentence in July for helping her boyfriend avoid arrest for a serious assault.

In May 2020, 'officer of the year' Pc Dave Humpherson was dismissed for sending an explicit photo to a woman he met while on duty.

Police staff have also gotten themselves into trouble, with 11 sacked during the same period. Nine were given a final written warning and five a first written warning. Another nine former employees "would have been dismissed".

• The title was changed to Alleged Hate/Racist ACT BY WEST MIDLANDS POLICE OFFICER
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/cop-gross-misconduct-probe-seven-22562982

Cop in gross misconduct probe as seven officers investigated over Sikh head covering furore

West Midlands Police officer allegedly 'forcibly removed' man's covering while he was in custody at Perry Barr

• 20:00, 23 DEC 2021

A West Midlands Police officer is being investigated over alleged gross misconduct after claims a Sikh man's head covering was "forcibly removed" while he was in custody in Birmingham.

The force watchdog said six officers were also being examined over misconduct allegations for "failing to challenge the officer’s use of force and treatment of the man".

The probe was launched by the Independent Office for Police Conduct after an incident at Perry Barr custody suite in October.

All seven officers facing investigations into their actions were said to have been in the suite at the time, the IOPC said. But it stressed that misconduct proceedings would not automatically follow. Details of the incident were previously made public but now the organisation has detailed the allegations facing the officers.

Regional director Derrick Campbell said: “Our investigation is still very much ongoing with notices served on seven officers who were all in the custody suite when the incident is said to have happened.

“The notices advise the officers that their conduct is subject to investigation because there is an indication they may have breached police standards of professional behaviour.

"However, it does not necessarily mean misconduct proceedings will follow. It is only once our investigation is complete that we will make decisions about whether or not the officers have a case to answer and should face disciplinary proceedings.

“We continue to keep the complainant updated as our investigation progresses.”

Assistant Chief Constable for Local Policing, Richard Baker, met with the victim of the alleged misconduct last month to apologise on behalf of West Midlands Police.

There was uproar when details of the claim surfaced, with a video - later confirmed as false by the IOPC - said to show the man's head covering being 'stamped on' by officers.

Mr Baker said: "This investigation remains with the IOPC and it will be some time before we know the final outcome.

"We do not underestimate the impact this has had on the man as well as the Sikh community, both locally and further afield.

"I would like to acknowledge the valuable support of our Sikh police officers who provided a perspective to this sensitive case. I'm also grateful for the ongoing input from the numerous community groups and individuals who are assisting West Midlands Police to improve the experiences of people going through our custody suites.

"We are committed to treating everyone with dignity and respect and we continue to strive for better relationships with the communities we serve."

https://www.sikhpa.com/seven-wmp-officers-given-misconduct-notice-for-sikh-hate-crime/

Seven WMP officers given “misconduct notice” for Sikh hate crime

December 24, 2021/in News /

A statement from the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) confirmed that a West Midlands police officer behind a hate crime against a Sikh man has been issued with a “gross misconduct” notice, whilst six more have been given a “misconduct notice”.

The statement comes months after the original incident took place in October, which saw a Sikh man issue a complaint about having his patka (religious head covering) removed and stamped on by officer Kashif Shafiq. The news of the misconduct notices was originally revealed by Sikh Youth UK (SYUK), a community activist group supporting the Sikh man at the centre of the incident.

Despite the findings, IOPC Regional Director, Derrick Campbell said the misconduct notice given to seven WMP officers “does not necessarily mean that misconduct proceedings will follow. It is only once our investigation is complete that we will make decisions about whether or not the officers have a case to answer and should face disciplinary proceedings.”

Whilst the outcome of the IOPC investigation continues, questions are arising as to why the video and audio footage of the incident has not been shared publicly, to provide clarity on what exactly happened. Sikh Press Association Senior Press Officer Jasveer Singh said of the latest update, “To end questions about what occurred, WMP could simply share footage from the cameras worn by the officers involved in the incident. At some point, especially in consideration of the outcome of the investigation, the footage will need to be revealed.”

With this update, many are wondering why the Metropolitan Police are yet to give any update on complaints about one of their officers punching a Sikh man in the face in an unprovoked attack during last year’s #FarmersProtest #KisaanRally in London, which legal group Kaurs Legal have pushed for.

https://www.unsaiddigital.com/7-officers-served-miconduct-notices-allegations-sikh-man-turban/

Unsaid Digital spoke exclusively with Mr Singh who was subjected to the racial attack.

Officer served gross misconduct notice over Sikh man’s head covering uproar

Posted On December 23, 2021

Seven officers have been served misconduct notices following an incident where a Sikh man’s turban was said to be forcibly removed.

The incident took place on October 25 when the Sikh man (we will call him Mr Singh) was apprehended for minor traffic offences in the West Midlands region.

West Midlands PC Kashif Shafiq was accused of carrying out the religiously-motivated hate crime of allegedly forcibly removing Mr Singh’s turban.

He said: “I am happy that the IOPC is communicating with me openly and honestly. It is appreciated from my side and I cannot thank the Sikh community enough for the support they have given me.”

Jas Singh, Advisor to the Sikh Federation (UK) also addressed the events. He said: “We welcome both the investigation and verdict of the IOPC into the inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour of the West Midlands Police officers at Perry Barr station.

“The whole Sikh community were outraged to hear about the racial attack and desecration of a young Sikh man’s turban and Patka.

Gurmel Singh, Supreme Sikh Council UK, said:

“Based upon experience there is a clear perception in the community that there is a lack of Sikh awareness amongst officers particularly when it comes to visiting homes. Gurdwaras on policing matters .The custody suite has its own challenges . This is now a real opportunity for  the WMP to reach out to credible representative Sikh organisations to discuss a way forward.”

Assistant Chief Constable for Local Policing, Mr Baker said:”This investigation remains with the IOPC and it will be some time before we know the final outcome.

“We do not underestimate the impact this has had on the man as well as the Sikh community, both locally and further afield.