dancing

S1ngh

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bMDn bMiD Bvwey soie ]

ba(n)dhhan ba(n)dhh bhavaaeae soe ||

The Lord binds us in bondage - so do we spin around.

pieAY ikriq ncY sBu koie ]

paeiai kirath nachai sabh koe ||

According to their actions, so do all people dance.

nic nic hsih clih sy roie ]

nach nach hasehi chalehi sae roe ||

Those who dance and dance and laugh, shall weep on their ultimate departure.

auif n jwhI isD n hoih ]<

br>oudd n jaahee sidhh n hohi ||

They do not fly to the heavens, nor do they become Siddhas.

ncxu kudxu mn kw cwau ]

nachan kudhan man kaa chaao ||

They dance and jump around on the urgings of their minds.

nwnk ijn@ min Bau iqn@w min Bwau ]2]

naanak jinh man bho thinhaa man bhaao ||2||

O Nanak, those whose minds are filled with the Fear of God, have the love of God in their minds as well. ||2||

What is the definition of DANCE in this context? "According to their actions, so do all people dance."

I think here Gurujee says that nothing is in our hands. People commit sins as is ordained by Waheguru for them ( The Lord binds us in bondage - so do we spin around ). The entire shabad does point out that Those who dance and dance and laugh, shall weep on their ultimate departure, so is there any more doubt left ?

yes there is still some doubt. Everyone keeps missing out the important tuk.

pieAY ikriq ncY sBu koie ]

paeiai kirath nachai sabh koe ||

According to their actions, so do all people dance.

Here Guru ji defines the DANCE and in the next tuk he explains that those who do this dance shall weep on their ultimate departure.

However

nachan kudhan man kaa chaao ||

They dance and jump around on the urgings of their minds.

to me sounds like the dance we are talking about since dancing and jumping go together.but i am still not sure. Even if the above tuk was refering to normal dancing it still doesnt forbid it grin.gif

are we that far in??? wow...

i've come to a bit of an undrstanding, i'd like to share with you (and probably promptly be torn apart and cut up for it, but so's life)

Nothing in sikhi is forbidden. Our rehit maryada, for example, is not a rigid stoned set of rules, it is a guide as to how a sikh should live his or her life. Dancing "perse" is NOT forbidden.... in fact, to certain levels, smoking, drinking, adultery and meat(or, to stay away from causing another arguement in a thread that doesn't need it...jhatka :wub: @ ) aren't in fact FORBIDDEN in sikhi. you can do em..in fact, FEEL FREE... jus don't think you're getting ANYWHERE on this path. Certain acts may have some consequences, but nothing in sikhi, in my belief, is truly FORBIDDEN. (example, women are still stoned/hanged for having an affair in muslim countries....now that seems kinda "forbidden")

in other words, if you wanna go dance....GO JIGGY.............. but don't even for one second try to say that that's actually getting you anywhere useful.

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

the reason why the indian culture dont like dancing because in the old days, dancing wasnt used then as fun, in the women's case, dancing was done by prostitutes. in the man's case, he danced with them, watched them or in danced in bhangra. however, because men were considered as superiour (sorry if i spelt it wrong im thick) to women, they could get away with it.

so in conclusion, if a women danced, it is considered as sexual.

if the man danced, he might get away with it, but might get done for dancing with a prostitute.

i've come to a bit of an undrstanding, i'd like to share with you (and probably promptly be torn apart and cut up for it, but so's life)

Nothing in sikhi is forbidden. Our rehit maryada, for example, is not a rigid stoned set of rules, it is a guide as to how a sikh should live his or her life. Dancing "perse" is NOT forbidden.... in fact, to certain levels, smoking, drinking, adultery and meat(or, to stay away from causing another arguement in a thread that doesn't need it...jhatka :wub: @ ) aren't in fact FORBIDDEN in sikhi. you can do em..in fact, FEEL FREE... jus don't think you're getting ANYWHERE on this path. Certain acts may have some consequences, but nothing in sikhi, in my belief, is truly FORBIDDEN. (example, women are still stoned/hanged for having an affair in muslim countries....now that seems kinda "forbidden")

in other words, if you wanna go dance....GO JIGGY.............. but don't even for one second try to say that that's actually getting you anywhere useful.

Wow! nice way to put it bro .... got me thinkin .... grin.gif

:wub:

Wicked post Japman Singh veer ji :wub:

In the end - it's not going to help you, and tha all tha matters

Big respect to Japnam Singh ji respect.gif

Gatka is a known as 'the dance of the sword', again it depends wat kind of dancing is permitted to gurmat and what is not, as sangat have mentioned above, it just depends on the persons own intentions.

I have read the above posts, it seems to be an intersting topic.

Another example- some people excersise and train (of course it is a nessesity in Sikhi to be healthy and fit) purely for fact that they want big muscles, 6 pack tedh etc to show off and look good. Are those intentions wrong? I would think so, as the intention is driven on ego.

oh and i didnt realise this topic was 4 pages long, sorry i just read the first page. sorry if my post seems distant from the ones now!

I dont understand y ppl are trying to defend dancing...If Guru Ji says its wrong, and if Guru Ji says we shouldnt do it, then why are we questioning him?? Are we better than Guru Ji??..I dont think so. I mean isnt it enough that we're dancing through reincarnations? Dancing gives us no spiritual gain what so ever. So why waste our time/energy engaging in it??