Many Wives In Sikhism

Guest Dilkaraja

1. Guru Arjan Dev.

Wives

- Ram Deyi, daughter of Surri Khatri (Charan Dass) of village Mour married year Bik 1622. Guruji was 11 years old at that

time Guru Amar Dass was on Guru Gaddi. (Ref. DR. Gopal Singh, Kesar Singh Chibbar, Mohinder Kaur Gill)

*** It is a controversial issue among the Sikh historians

- Ganga devi

2. Guru Hargobind

Wives

- Damodri Devi

- Nanki Devi

- Maha Devi

3. Guru Hari Rai

Wives

- Prem Kaur

- Chand Kaur

- Anokhi Devi

- Ram Kaur

- Laddli

- Krishan Kaur

- Kalyani

4. Guru Gobind Singh

Wives

- Sahib Kaur Ji

- Jeeto Rani

- Sundri Devi

Many causes about the practice of polygamy among the humans have been sited by eminent scholars...

Helen Fisher states that men seek polygamy to spread their genes while women join harems to acquire resources and ensure the survival of their young. Polygamy enables men to have more children. Most of the scientific evidence stacks up in favor of monogamy. Desmond Morris summarised the explanations by saying that the pair bonding is a trademark of humans.

But, even then the question arises, why Some Gurus did practice it?

Most of Sikh scholars never touch the subject probably due to the divinity and spirituality associated with Sikh Gurus.

Very few explanations have been given which can be summarised as such...

1. It was the Divine will.

2. One should not raise the issue as they were super humans and their life incide

nts are beyond the comprehension of commoners.

3. With improved economy of Guru Ghars, the Gurus could afford multiple marriages...

forget about "Guru Gobind Singh's wives" issue. I'm looking at the others listed above. Guru Arjan Dev ji had 2? Guru Hargobind ji had 3? Guru Har Rai ji had 7 wives?

no doubt there are mistakes. Guru Gobind Singh ji had only 1 wife as far as I know. What about the others, whats the story behind them? Which ones are juz multiple names of the same woman?

can't believe juz in few hundred years, info like this is lost and misunderstood.... :lol: @

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I always had this doubt. I asked many raagis and gianis and parcharaks and all of they said Guru Gobind Singh Ji did have 3 wives, but he had physical relationship with only two wives. From the first wife, Guru Ji had vaddey Sahibzadey and from the second Guru Ji had the chhotey Sahibzadey. The third wife was Guru Ji's spiritual wife, the mother of the Khalsa. This is what I have heard. But I still have doubt beleiving it.

Few weeks ago I asked this questions to Sant Hardev Singh Ji Loolon Kalan Wale who came to Lankershim Gurdwara Sahib to do katha. Here is how it goes:

I: Did Guru Gobind Singh Ji had 2 wives.

Him: He had 3 wives.

I: Aren't we allowed to have only one wife cuz Bhai Gurdas Ji says, "aika naari jatee hoye...".

Him: Guru Gobing Singh was the Guru.

I: So how many wifes are WE allowed to have then?

Him: One.

I: But why did Guru Gobind Singh Ji have 3 wives.

Him: He was the Guru. Tu hun Guru di rees karni aan.

Then he went towards the door and left.

I was not satisfied with this answer cuz aren't we supposed to walk the path of the Guru. It is true that Guru can do anything and we are not allowed to question the Guru but follow the Hukam. If Guru Ji did have 3 wifes, we cannot predict or say with certainty why he had 3 wifes cuz only Guru Ji knows this. Probably there would be something like these wives must have done ardas and meditated alot for sooooooo many yugs to marry Guru Gobind Singh Ji when he would be born in Kaljug as Guru Gobind Singh and Akal Purukh heard their ardas and accepted it, and since Guru Gobind Singh would not come

this planet in a human body again, this was the only chance they could get married to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. And thats why Guru Ji HAD to marry 3 women, not that he wanted to. This is what came in my mind a long time ago when i was talking to a friend of mine who was also upset about this situation. But again, we can only make guesses. Only a pooran Brahmgiani can answer this question. There have been many of them in Sikh World. Does anyone know if anybody asked them this question?

The reason why I believed Guru Ji had 3 wives is that Sant Hardev Singh Ji said that they have three Samadhs of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 3 wives. He also said, on stage, that if Guru Ji had one wife with 2 or 3 names, there would be only one Samadh. But there are three.

So we don't know the truth. Should we go with the evidence (3 samaadhs) or with something else. But there is a chance that it is all made up or fake, but we don't know the truth.

i'm still confused :lol:

its hard to believe, but what if that is the truth?

bhul chuk di khima...

We as Sikhs are supposed to follow the "Hukam" of Guru Ji and not do what Guru Ji did. If Sikhs should be allowed to have two/three wives because Guru Ji did then Sikhs should be allowed to hunt and wear kalgi also. Gurbani teaches us that only following hukam is the right thing and not to do exactly what Guru Ji. I have never seen a muslim questioning why he is allowed to have only four wives where as mohammad had more than four (numbers vary). I have never seen a hindu ask why he is allowed only one wife where krishna had 16108. yeah, you can say Sikhs should question to learn but tell me, are you Guru? if not, then why should you be allowed to do eveyrthing Guru Ji did. don't waste time. realize the hukam and follow that. if someone could explain something to me........how can khalsa be child of a couple who was not married?? Guru Gobind Singh Ji is the Father and His wife should be the Mother. Because all bibis in Khalsa are Guru Ji's daughter so if Guru Ji was not married to Mata Jeeto Ji then by being part of Khalsa Panth it means she is daughter of Guru Ji.

Mata Ajit Kaur Ji died at Anandpur Sahib and her grave is present there. Mata Sundar Kaur Ji and Mata Sahib Kaur Ji met Guru Ji at Damdama Sahib after they were separated during the attack. Both were sent to Delhi with Bhai Mani Singh Ji. Mata Sahib Kaur Ji passed away in Delhi and later Mata Sundar Kaur Ji. their graves are present at bangla Sahib in Delhi and the third one is of Guru Harkrishan Ji. Three graves there. So explain to me how come there are three graves if there were two wives or one wife?

check the historical books and facts before coming up with your own logics. this discussion is

total waste of time. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ok this is what I have understood always. Gurujee had only 1 wife : Mata Jeeto Jee whom He used to call Sundari, and so people thought He had 2 wives Mata Jeeto Jee and Mata Sundari. Mata Sahib Kaur is the spiritual mother of the Khalsa and not His physical wife. He had 4 sons from only Mata Jeeto Jee. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ok this is what I have understood always. Gurujee had only 1 wife : Mata Jeeto Jee whom He used to call Sundari, and so people thought He had 2 wives Mata Jeeto Jee and Mata Sundari. Mata Sahib Kaur is the spiritual mother of the Khalsa and not His physical wife. He had 4 sons from only Mata Jeeto Jee. Correct me if I am wrong.

exactly what i think.

but forget about Guru Gobind Singh ji's situation.........tell me bout the others tongue.gif

Guru Hargobind Jee had 3 wives because back in the days if a father would promise his daughter to someone, and if she didn't end up getting married to the guy, she would have to remain unmarried forever. So to avoid that from happening to the 2 bibiaan Gurujee married, He married them, and then announced that He was not gonna marry any more. Again, this is what I have read. Please correct if wrong.

ps : and yes...none of the Gurus married more than once for cheap pleasures...they were the light of God...unlike scum bags like myself...so lets stop doubting Gurujee please !!!

Simran9, If we can't get a clear answer to Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's history which is the most recent, how do u except to to get answers when it comes to the earlier Guru Sahibs?

Bijla Singh, I respect your post but lets not forget that Guru Sahib were 'kathni aate karni' de soorae. And since you are talking about hukam, there's a hukam of Guru Arjan Sahib Patshah: Avar Updeshe Aaap Naa Kare...

Now being the great grandson of Guru Angad Sahib Ji, Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was also his Sikh. So don't tell me he wouldn't follow command of Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji.

I've talked to you in person about this and last time you said your backup sources are the talk you had with Baba Hardev Singh Ji (Luloo Vaal) and a book of either Bh. Sangat Singh or Gyani Sant Gurbhachan Singh Ji. So which other historial references are you talking about now?