Indian Unis Can Bar Brow Plucking Sikhs

I agree that there should be no reservation but we have to protect the innocent Sikhs from the cunning wolfs in disguise of Sikhs. Guru Maharaj needs Piyar and Sharda from his tyar bar tyar Sikh, he does not want brainy pretty young things. If there has to be No Reservation, it has to be in whole of India, not in just Sikh instituions. Let others lead by example, Sikhs will follow suit.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest confusingh

Look either way anybody looks at this the end result is output of candidates has a much lower quality, thats fact, its not a meritocratic system, in medical schools in the UK you are judged upon your academic ability and suitability as a potential doctor...

Breaking Rehat is wrong, I'm completely against it, but I think discriminating against people on the grounds of Rehat Maryada in education is not really a Sikh approach... they kind of eliminate the whole point of education by using this reservation system, there's no meritocracy in play within this system... and ultimately what jassa said is correct.

I'm pretty sure a person cannot appeal on the grounds of a double application though can you clarify where you got this info from apnepart2?

I agree that there should be no reservation but we have to protect the innocent Sikhs from the cunning wolfs in disguise of Sikhs. Guru Maharaj needs Piyar and Sharda from his tyar bar tyar Sikh, he does not want brainy pretty young things. If there has to be No Reservation, it has to be in whole of India, not in just Sikh instituions. Let others lead by example, Sikhs will follow suit.

I never knew this was a Sikh approach to follow by example ... are you saying we should simply become sheeps and abandon our Singh nature of being leaders... aren't we the ones to set example, not follow?

This is so unbelievably hypocritical, I'm a Gursikh and after taking Amrit I've never broken Rehat Maryada but ultimately, we can't discriminate against those who aren't Keshdhari especially when the issue is granting one an education!

there is 33% reservation in each and every educational instituion in India. That 33% is reserved for no-brainers. Then there is reservation for Defense, Freedom fighters childeren, NRI'S, OBC, Tribals, Rural etc. People who have a brain get to compete in the remaining % that comes around to paltry 45%. This girl couldn't do it, she had brains but there were more brainy people than her. So she thought she could use the back door, that was for no brainers. You see if you have brains that you WILL be in the 45% percent. okay!

Reservation is the system in India, if everyone can use it why not Sikhs! It is the System. If you have guts go to India and fight the system, don't whine on a forum.

The type of reservation you are talking about is there in the colleges run by the Government. ( No- brainers !!! Well, let us not run away in describing it)

From what information I have been able to collect from different sources, the Guru Ram Das Medical College in Amritsar is run by SGPC. There is no funding from the government. It is entirely funded by SGPC.

The admission is based on a merit list prepared from the results of competition examination ( called Common Entrance Test –or something !!!) that all students seeking admission have to take. The list is prepared by the Baba Farid University of Medicine and Health Sciences. There are about 6 Medical colleges affiliated with the Baba Farid University. Guru Ram Das College is just one of them. Combined number of total places available in all the Medical Colleges of Punjab are about 700 per year. Because of reservation system only about 340 seats are available in the open category to which any body including Sikhs can apply.

Guru Ram Das College admits 100 students every year. Out of that 50 seats are in Open category. So, these (50) open category seats are offered per merit list without any consideration to religion, caste etc, to those who make Guru Ram Das College as their choice.-. The other 50 seats are in reserved for Sikh students (only at the Guru Ram Das College). The admission in the reserve category is also per merit list provided by the University from which the college strikes off the names of non-Sikh students. To be included in this category list, candidate is required to give an affidavit at the time of applying that he/she is a Sikh , does not trim his beard, (girl) does not pluck her eyebrows etc etc.

This girl could not qualify under the open category. So, she applied in the reserve category, and signed the affidavit. But at the interview ( they call it counseling) , counselor noted that she has been plucking her eyebrows , so the college authorities denied her the admission. She appealed to High Court against the decision of the college authorities.

MOD Edited

Under the indian constitution article25 -30 allows minority institution to keep the minority quota it applies to all minority institution be it chritain or muslims not only to sikhs one can get 50% seats in general quota and other half in minority quota under the law even management not even the courts can intervene and convert it into general quota after gurlleen kaur was found plucking eyebrows during medical examination she was denied admission but she promised not to do in future but management gave admmission to other student. she could have got admmission in general quota but she insisted on sikh quota. AFFIDAVIT DRAFTED BY MATTEWAL ON BEHALF OF SGPC CARRYING DISGRACE FUL COMMENTS ABOUT 9 GURUS NOT BEING KESHADHARIS CREATED THE WHOLE ISSUE SGPC DID NOT WITHDRAW THE AFFIDAVIT BUT AMENDED IT THIS WAS DONE UNDER BJP RSS INFLUNECE THUS COURT DECLARED THAT ANY ONE CAN FROM GENERAL PUBLIC CAN GIVE VIEWS IT WAS LAST SUBMISSION BY ATINDERPAL SINGH KHALSTANI WHICH TURNED THE TABLES THE SOCALLED SEHAJDHARI FEDERATION AND SGPC AND DGMC PEOPLE STARTED COMMENTS KHALSTANI JUMPS EVERYWHERE IT WAS THUNDEROUS FATEH BY ATINDER PAL SINH TO JUDGER WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH IAMM ATINDERPAL SINGH KHALASTANI INTRODUCES LIKE THIS. EVEN COTRIBUTION OF HIS LAWYER WAS NOT LESS SAME AS HE MADE SHORT SUMMARY. FURTHER THIS JUDGEMENT APPLIES TO SIKH INSTITUTIONS. FURTHER COMMENTS OF JUDGE J S KHER PROUD TO BE BORN IN SIKH FAMILY IN WRTTEN JUDGEMENT IS BOLD STEP.

• 1 month later...

This is a sad story... The sikhs of today are brainwashed by british tat-khalsa ideology. Even sehajdharis in the past had never suffered this sort of exclusion. It's sad to see how much bhasauria and other mind-sets have influenced todays sikhi.

Dear brutha, did you mean "Sabat surat rabb ki bhane beyiman"? (Only a untrusty fool destroys his God-given form.) That kind of tat khalsa ideology? By Akal rup Guru Nanak Dev ji?

I personally do not believe that an organization can based on physical appearances determine who or what a sikh is. Complete rubbish..

I agree with that, i.e., courts shouldn't necessarily determine who is a Sikh and who isn't. Rather the question should be is person X eligible for the Sikh quota or not, where Sikh quota is for "Kesadhari Sikhs".

I don't know if there was a particular legal necessity that required arguing the case in this way, or if it was in fact argued in this way at all.

Similarly, for voting in SGPC elections, we don't need to say "a mona isn't a Sikh", just that "eligble voters for SPGC elections are Kesadhari Sikhs".

they should only have banned her once they EXPLAINED to her that this is a SIKH FAITH SCHOOL and that if she wants to attend then she would have to keep her hair and not cut it!! if she refused then they should ban her and as the court verdict showed they are within their rights to do so!!

For those still arguing:

"From what information I have been able to collect from different sources, the Guru Ram Das Medical College in Amritsar is run by SGPC. There is no funding from the government. It is entirely funded by SGPC.

The admission is based on a merit list prepared from the results of competition examination ( called Common Entrance Test –or something !!!) that all students seeking admission have to take. The list is prepared by the Baba Farid University of Medicine and Health Sciences. There are about 6 Medical colleges affiliated with the Baba Farid University. Guru Ram Das College is just one of them. Combined number of total places available in all the Medical Colleges of Punjab are about 700 per year. Because of reservation system only about 340 seats are available in the open category to which any body including Sikhs can apply.

Guru Ram Das College admits 100 students every year. Out of that 50 seats are in Open category. So, these (50) open category seats are offered per merit list without any consideration to religion, caste etc, to those who make Guru Ram Das College as their choice.-. The other 50 seats are in reserved for Sikh students (only at the Guru Ram Das College). The admission in the reserve category is also per merit list provided by the University from which the college strikes off the names of non-Sikh students. To be included in this category list, candidate is required to give an affidavit at the time of applying that he/she is a Sikh , does not trim his beard, (girl) does not pluck her eyebrows etc etc. This girl could not qualify under the open category. So, she applied in the reserve category, and signed the affidavit. But at the interview ( they call it counseling) , counselor noted that she has been plucking her eyebrows , so the college authorities denied her the admission. She appealed to High Court against the decision of the college authorities."

p.s. Mehtab I like how you posted the original article and then sat back and watched the chaos. : )

Fateh parwaan karro ji,

Only those students who have taken admission on Sikh Quota in a College that has this Quota can be stopped from plucking his beard or for that matter tampering with his Sikhi swaroop.

Otherwise I do not think an Indian University can do this or for that matter will bother to do this.

Guru Rakha