46 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be next Jathedar

• Ex Jathedar Bhai Ranjeet Singh
    • Gyani Pinderpal Singh
    • Ranjeet Singh Dhardianwale
    • Amrik Singh Ajnala
    • Someone from Nihung Jathebandi
    • Bhai Rajoana

I can't read Punjabi so for all I know his reason could actually have something to do with salt.

Why does the article say he's opposed to it anyway ?

It says that bujhe(unlightened) dive(oil lamps) are a sign of tehndi kala(worsening state or pessimism) while lightened/jaagde dive are sign of chardi kala or optimism. And therefore sikh ppl should not show weakness by showing that hope is lost. He says the hukamraan/ rulers have already darkened panjab by drugs corruption lies etc we should not add to it. We shud show sikhs are always optimistic..

I can't read Punjabi so for all I know his reason could actually have something to do with salt.

Why does the article say he's opposed to it anyway ?

In punjabi it says :

Patiala 31st october (baljinder) sabka mukh mantri Beant SIngh da katal da case vich phansi di saza paa chooke kendri jail patiala vich bandh Balwant Singh Rajoana ne keha ke oh panthik aggooan valon kali diwaali manaun sanbandi ditte sadde naal sahimat nahin hai. jail ton jari pattar vich Rajoana ne keha ke divve bujha ke hanerakarni tan taandi kala ate hari hoe mansikhta da pragatawa karna hai, jadik deep jagoune chardikala da, sadde Guru Sahiban valon sanoo baksh updeshan te sanghurshan da prateek hai. Rajoana ne keha ke hukamrana ne tan saddi ish pavittar dharti (ut)te pehla, jhoot,dhoka, faraib,barastachar ate nashian roopi andhkaar faila ke sadde jiwan do rah mushkal kitte hoea han ate hun vi hukhamrana di koshish hai ki sadde gharan do divva bujhe' raan, asi humesha taandikala ate nashian vich galataan vich rehiae, tan ki innan da lutt ksutt roopi (sorry can't read last line)

basically Rajoana says that we should not fail to commerate Guru ji Bandi Chor diwas and lighting the divve as this protest is becoming a falling spirits motion , something that will please the authorities , but dishearten the SIkh householders who are already embattled by falsehood, doublecrossers, cheaters, violence and in the form of addictions have eneveloped the blessed soil of the Punjab with darkness . To light that jot is to challenge that darkness much as Bhai Sahib Jaswant Singh Khalra did ...a simple act of defiance of chardi Kala ...

I say Naam di jot jagga-o , te deep vi to represent the living spirit of our kaum , a flame that can never be extinguished

In punjabi it says :

Patiala 31st october (baljinder) sabka mukh mantri Beant SIngh da katal da case vich phansi di saza paa chooke kendri jail patiala vich bandh Balwant Singh Rajoana ne keha ke oh panthik aggooan valon kali diwaali manaun sanbandi ditte sadde naal sahimat nahin hai. jail ton jari pattar vich Rajoana ne keha ke divve bujha ke hanerakarni tan taandi kala ate hari hoe mansikhta da pragatawa karna hai, jadik deep jagoune chardikala da, sadde Guru Sahiban valon sanoo baksh updeshan te sanghurshan da prateek hai. Rajoana ne keha ke hukamrana ne tan saddi ish pavittar dharti (ut)te pehla, jhoot,dhoka, faraib,barastachar ate nashian roopi andhkaar faila ke sadde jiwan do rah mushkal kitte hoea han ate hun vi hukhamrana di koshish hai ki sadde gharan do divva bujhe' raan, asi humesha taandikala ate nashian vich galataan vich rehiae, tan ki innan da lutt ksutt roopi (sorry can't read last line)

basically Rajoana says that we should not fail to commerate Guru ji Bandi Chor diwas and lighting the divve as this protest is becoming a falling spirits motion , something that will please the authorities , but dishearten the SIkh householders who are already embattled by falsehood, doublecrossers, cheaters, violence and in the form of addictions have eneveloped the blessed soil of the Punjab with darkness . To light that jot is to challenge that darkness much as Bhai Sahib Jaswant Singh Khalra did ...a simple act of defiance of chardi Kala ...

I say Naam di jot jagga-o , te deep vi to represent the living spirit of our kaum , a flame that can never be extinguished

Thank you jkilondon and not too cool to argue. (I feel like an un-padh having to get others to translate for me what should be my birth right)

If the article is genuine then I will say this : Bhai Rajoana's heart is most definately in the right place but his mind is clearly not able to see the bigger picture.

In previous messages I said "these parcharks on the poll are not what they seem, with the exception of rajoana". I praised rjoana of course because the context of my messages was that all the others on the list were actually what I call "Career Sikhs", i.e had amassed vast fortunes in the name of Sikhi. I now take back my assertion of putting rajoana on a too high pedestal and stand by my constant motion of maintaining that we need a jathedar that is a non-punjabi, preferably western born, may be white. One day......you'll all see my point.

Thank you jkilondon and not too cool to argue. (I feel like an un-padh having to get others to translate for me what should be my birth right)

If the article is genuine then I will say this : Bhai Rajoana's heart is most definately in the right place but his mind is clearly not able to see the bigger picture.

In previous messages I said "these parcharks on the poll are not what they seem, with the exception of rajoana". I praised rjoana of course because the context of my messages was that all the others on the list were actually what I call "Career Sikhs", i.e had amassed vast fortunes in the name of Sikhi. I now take back my assertion of putting rajoana on a too high pedestal and stand by my constant motion of maintaining that we need a jathedar that is a non-punjabi, preferably western born, may be white. One day......you'll all see my point.

the colour is not important in fact could reinforce colonial mentalities, It's ALL about the jeevan

The #BlackDiwali thing doesn't make sense. On one hand we've been quite vehement in our assertion in recent times that Sikhs do NOT celebrate Diwali, yet some are trying to launch a movement that highlights Sikh discontent at recent issues, that hinge on the word 'Diwali'. Shouldn't it be #BlackBandiChorDivas? But I suppose that is a bit of a mouthful and isn't as catchy as #BlackDiwali.

Still, it kind of conveniently overlooks the fact that many gianis and parcharaks have been at pains to emphasise in recent years that, for Sikhs, Diwali is irrelevant to us. It's like wanting to start a movement called #BlackEid or #BlackChristmas; yeah, the message behind such phrases aren't ambiguous but how exactly does it relate to US?

The #BlackDiwali thing doesn't make sense. On one hand we've been quite vehement in our assertion in recent times that Sikhs do NOT celebrate Diwali, yet some are trying to launch a movement that highlights Sikh discontent at recent issues, that hinge on the word 'Diwali'. Shouldn't it be #BlackBandiChorDivas? But I suppose that is a bit of a mouthful and isn't as catchy as #BlackDiwali.

Still, it kind of conveniently overlooks the fact that many gianis and parcharaks have been at pains to emphasise in recent years that, for Sikhs, Diwali is irrelevant to us. It's like wanting to start a movement called #BlackEid or #BlackChristmas; yeah, the message behind such phrases aren't ambiguous but how exactly does it relate to US?

thing is , we in the west have paid attention but in India sikhs are totally Bahminised they do all sorts of vahm and bharam filled nonsense they are going backwards into Hindu thought patterns that's why the tag is diwali as they know about that but not the real Sikh festival of Bandi Chor diwas. I mean my Mamia are totally besharam and go to mandhir and get prasad from there then think nothing of sharing that with others who are Gursikh...their reasoning is that all religions praise God (facepalm)

the colour is not important in fact could reinforce colonial mentalities, It's ALL about the jeevan

'Colour' of course, is not important but phychologicaly it can have a tremendously positive impact on not only riddding Sikhi of the inherent un-sikh punjabyat culture but also getting inside the heads of the sikh masses in Punjab and making them realise that Waheguru is the Waheguru of all mankind...not just Punjabis, that Sikhi is for all the world....not just Punjabis.

Now, I'm sure you've gathered from my messages that I do have a mistrust of what I call 'career Sikhs' in general, i.e people that do Sikhi for a living, and in most cases have gotten rich on the back of it....and maybe sometimes this mistrust of mine can be misplaced. But, I do think there's alot to be said for a healthy dose of cynicism. For example, Ranjit Singh Dhardianwale; He can and does get himself arrested every 3 or 4 days and each time come out of the police cells looking as fresh as someone thats just spent a night in a 5 star health spa. However, if you, me or any other Sikh had to spend even one night in the custody of the Punjab Police we would come out of it covered in injuries. My point is that the people we think of as 'heroes' are not always as heroic as it seems. The real heroes are the ordinary Sikhs that genuinely risked life and blood to demonstrate and fight for our rights. We are showing way too much respect for people who, at the end of the day, do Sikhi as a living and have made a damn fine living from it at that. The cycle needs to be broken and thats why I feel the time is right to have a non-punjabi, maybe a western born, maybe even a gora Sikh at the helm.