Are Sikhs addicted to appeasing "others" at their own cost

Guest amar

14 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

Yeah I think I didnt make myself clear. Langar photo ops in western countries has not really done anything for us that's what I meant. Like our people have just turned the concept of langar into a PR stunt at this point.

I agree, but I know when I growing up, I was really grateful for it. I do think in some areas langars in Gurdwaras actually make a big difference to struggling people, including our own faujis.

But I know there are liberties taken. I remember at a local Gurdwara where I lived before nonSikh immigrants would come, and there was at least one argument by sangat (that I saw) with some of them (a sullah guy) because they came to eat but didn't show maharaj respect by mathaa tekhing.   

I agree the PR stunt crap should be swiftly knocked on the head. 

18 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

I have stopped watching YouTube videos on harmandir sahib for this very reason. I'm irritated by the largest free kitchen,  serves this many people opening lines now. At this point people think Sikhi=food. The problem is there is too much emphasis on langar when there is so much to Sikhi.

That shouldn't pi55 you off at all. To me it's actually a symbol of Sikh determination and continuity, that we still have that maryada going on all the way from paviter Baba Nanak Devi ji maharaj.  

14 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Mmm..not sure how much impact on perception he's had. The west was either ignorant of who Sikhs are or knew they weren't terrorists and that's still the case. Hindustan which are the only people stupid and crazy enough to try and label us terrorists, continue to do so. So I'd say he's actually had basically zero impact on perception. 

I think he reinforced a sort of docile, forever ready to please goray image in the UK. I don't think he planned this, but it is what happened.