Do these beauty contests degrade women?

shastarSingh

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

No, I don't think so. For some reason, I think Panjabi culture and values were more strongly promoted in the past than Sikhi - that's a big part of it, but it's more complex than just that.  

Are people still moving more towards Punjabi culture over Sikhi now over there?

On 1/2/2022 at 5:00 AM, dallysingh101 said:

No, I don't think so. For some reason, I think Panjabi culture and values were more strongly promoted in the past than Sikhi - that's a big part of it, but it's more complex than just that.  

Sikhs in Australia are more recent immigrants so they’re still connected to Panjabi culture but never witnessed behaviour you described. 

Drinking is always limited to Sikh males here (in parties too, sometimes men and women segregate themselves).

2 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Are people still moving more towards Punjabi culture over Sikhi now over there?

It's up in the air right now. At least more people are recognising the distinction between the two.  Let's be frank, we've got 5 generations plus here, some apnay/apneean couldn't give a hoot about their Sikhi heritage and probably mainly only ever end up in Gurdwaray dressed up for a wedding and can't wait for the party-sharty afterwards. lol

5 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Sikhs in Australia are more recent immigrants so they’re still connected to Punjabi culture but never witnessed behaviour you described. 

Drinking is almost always limited to Sikh males here. 

I think also, some people in the community are just plain blind, they don't actually see what happens behind facades like a streetwise person would. Too blinded by maya often? Which is why they came out in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think also, some people in the community are just plain blind, they don't actually see what happens behind facades like a streetwise person would. Too blinded by maya often? Which is why they came out in the first place. 

Are you calling me blinded by Maya

1 minute ago, 5aaban said:

Are you calling me blind just because I never witnessed this behaviour from Australian Sikhs? 

No, I'm saying it looks like we've got this tendency in the community to get blinded by opportunities in the diaspora, and fail to observe phenomena going on under our noses whilst doing this. We seem arguably shallow. Focusing on folk dancing and status symbols, instead of deeper stuff.

Also, when people do actually start realising something is wrong, they tend to keep quiet about it, making the problem even worse. 

Regarding the situation in Aus. It's early days yet, but it's better people in other diasporas learn from what happened in the UK, it might help prevent it taking place there. Like an early warning radar thing. 

On 1/2/2022 at 5:17 AM, dallysingh101 said:

No, I'm saying it looks like we've got this tendency in the community to get blinded by opportunities in the diaspora, and fail to observe phenomena going on under our noses whilst doing this. We seem arguably shallow. Focusing on folk dancing and status symbols, instead of deeper stuff.

Also, when people do actually start realising something is wrong, they tend to keep quiet about it, making the problem even worse. 

Regarding the situation in Aus. It's early days yet, but it's better people in other diasporas learn from what happened in the UK, it might help prevent it taking place there. Like an early warning radar thing. 

Agreed. UK diaspora is an example of what not to become and no doubt some 'Sikhs' are deeply engrossed in materialism. 

To understand it is important to know that majority of first punjabi immigration wave folks to any shores are god-fearing and family oriented. They have fear of doing wrong things as mentioned taboo by our guru sahibs. There are few minority who are basically NRI amli who would get huge cultural shock and forget their dharam/god-fear overnight and do all sort of stuff without any fear - drunk, violence, not working steadily and staying on welfare.

Sadly, super majority of the future generation of both above types will lean toward 90% of stuff against of our gurus teaching due to various shortcomings of our folks here outside India. 

On 1/2/2022 at 5:24 AM, dallysingh101 said:

No, some UK Sikhs are an example of fearlessly resisting heavy odds, including conservative fudhoos within the panth. lol

Remember we're in the heartland of the very people who had no problem turning hordes of apnay into their b1tches in their own homeland, like this: 

DzEEb86W0AAR6WK.jpg.30aa0f69992367bbf9272ca8fac416d6.jpg

You live in what was essentially a penal colony for this place, where they off loaded a lot of desperate poor people, murderers and rapists.  lol

The only positive takeaway from UK diaspora is the establishment of good Sikh organisations like Basics of Sikhi and Sikh Youth UK. 

Just now, 5aaban said:

I always considered it difficult for UK Sikhs to live in a country which took away Khalsa Raj and is involved in anti-Sikh activities.  

Australia has changed significantly from its old British definition of a colony of convicts. 

Look sis. The government and police (!!) here helped cover up the grooming of Sikh girls for decades (and still are!), that should give you an idea of what we've been dealing with. 

Couple that with how apnay seem to live in denial a lot of the time.....

Have some respect for the brothers and sisters who didn't lay down like sheep in the face of this.

And I'm just saying be wary of that tendency of many apnay to ignore or be oblivious to stuff.   

Have you read the RASE report? If not, you should.