Sikh/Punjabi names

Jassu

4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I think @Jassuis interested in names without prefix or suffix, which is most most Sikhs have in their name, including me

I like those names as well, and I think she wants names which go against the current trend of more 'Hindu' names.

Btw, what does everyone think of naming a child 'Arjan' - I don't think we should have names based on our Gurus, Sahibzade or Panj Piayre. 

And should think twice about naming after other important Puratan or recent Sikhs who most will struggle to be anything close to. I understand the parents' intentions when naming the child, but disagree. 

I know many Christians (in non Anglo countries like Spain, Portugal, Africa) name their child after Jesus and Muslims name kids after Mohammed, but I disagree that Sikhs should do similar.

I wondered how many Shaheed Singhs he so casually disrespected myself. 

6 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I think @Jassuis interested in names without prefix or suffix, which is most most Sikhs have in their name, including me

I like those names as well, and I think she wants names which go against the current trend of more 'Hindu' names.

Btw, what does everyone think of naming a child 'Arjan' - I don't think we should have names based on our Gurus, Sahibzade or Panj Piayre. 

And should think twice about naming after other important Puratan or recent Sikhs who most will struggle to be anything close to. I understand the parents' intentions when naming the child, but disagree. 

I know many Christians (in non Anglo countries like Spain, Portugal, Africa) name their child after Jesus and Muslims name kids after Mohammed, but I disagree that Sikhs should do similar.

She must be regarded. Just the fact that she holds the name of one of our Gurus in contempt because she perceives it as hindu but is alright with sullay names says it all. 

I understand what you are saying, but sometimes using an old name helps people remember historical figures that they may otherwise forget.  

37 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

She must be regarded. Just the fact that she holds the name of one of our Gurus in contempt because she perceives it as hindu but is alright with sullay names says it all. 

She probably follows what Mughal propaganda says about our Gurus, especially Jahanghir's journal.

I was thinking on this more Veer Ji. 

I think not using the Guru Sahiban's names is almost a must, only God and Guru are perfect. 

As for the names of the blessed Sahibzade. I would not use their names either, but could understand if somebody else did and would probably tell myself "we're all sons and daughters of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaja."

As for Panj Pyare, again I personally, in this case probably wouldn't, but because the Panj Pyare's names are each a principle symbol, I could see wanting to imbue, steer, or remind a child in that direction. I'd be sure to tell them you are not Daya, you are called Daya so that you may be like Daya. 

Lastly I agree with your final point. In fact they probably shouldn't either. How embarrasing that the jail roster in some parts of the world are full of those names?