How did your ancestors become Sikhs?

Guest sikh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/26/2022 at 6:23 AM, dharamyudh said:

My specific village in the Doaba region was home to a great Mahapurakh, a Nirmala GurSikh who did immense amounts of bhagti in my pind. I believe the gurdwara is still ran by the samparda, though not as active in the village, there are some Nirmalas there. In fact, the title/position of Mahant is still in place there as well. In my neighboring village (the two villages were established by brothers, so everyone got the same last name) there was a Singh who took Pahul from Guru Maharaj themselves and became shaheed in battle. I also believe the Ahluwalia Misl was the Misl that took over this area, eventually falling to Ranjit Singh after his unification. I would imagine that my family started following Sikhi from about that point onwards.

However, with the exception of my grandfather and some great grandparents, no one has taken Pahul, let alone kept Kesh. 

so nobody from your parents' generation there is keepin kesh? that's a real shame, especially with all the history!

15 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

so nobody from your parents' generation there is keepin kesh? that's a real shame, especially with all the history!

Unfortunately not. All of them rather walk around bald headed. My Grandfather was the only one, even he had push back for that when he started. But he was a dedicated Gurmukh. My Father wasn't and still isn't into Sikhi nor are his siblings. Guess it skipped a generation and came to das.