Girl 18 Y/o Converts To Islam - Bbc News Story

what needs to be done to "combat" extremists whom are trying to convert is that we need to educate our children, brothers and sisters about sikhi. I dont understand punjabi, as do a lot of sikhs nowadays, yet in the gurdwara everything is in punjabi. Ok its getting better with those sikhitothemax translations which are used every sunday. But katha/talks are still done in punjabi.

Let me describe the typical visit to the gurdwara for a mona sikh who doesnt know anything about sikhi, and hardly speaks punjabi. He will walk in, take his shoes off, cover his head, wash his hands cos his dad says its something he is supposed to do. He will be given some money then go into the darbar hall bow before guruji (to him it will just seem like a book) he will go and sit down. Listen to the paath which he wont understand, listen to the katha which he wont understand. eat some prashad and langar then go home and watch tv.

ok maybe thats a slight exaggeration,if i am honest this is what it was like for me and all my cousins cos nobody is religious in my family. infact i am the only one into sikhi.

We should have talks in english because we are living in england. Then a lot of the kids would understand what is being said, they will learn something about their great religion. Translation of the paath should be up as it is being read. Teach some people how to use the sikhitothemax powerpoint stuff.

There should be free leaflets/booklets at the entrance which teach people about sikhisms philosophy,beliefs. how we differ from islam, hinduism etc. perhaps even have the gurdwaras in each city send information/leaflets about sikhi to the houses of sikhs every month. Everyone should come to the gurdwara not only to worship, but to gain the divine knowledge of the gurus which they passed to us. We need to educate our people, most sikh families whom arent amritdhari know so little about sikhi, about why we do this and that.

anyways i am sorry if i have offended anyone with the things that i have posted, they are just my beliefs from my life experiences. and they are just some ideas as to how to solve it. I really do think education is the key. We dont have to convert, but we have a right to teach and educate those whom come to see guruji about the teachings. Its not good enuogh just to say we hold a weekly sikhi class etc cos half of them wont turn up.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** MOD NOTE: PART OF POST DELETED - DON'T MAKE JATTA COMMENTS ***

Anyway, I agree what some people said about needing to address this issue more openly and educating the youth about Sikhi. Remember people, the only way to beat a bully is to stand up against a bully by any means necessary.

What makes me sick is how all of a sudden amritdharis are concerned but how they couldn't really give a monkeys before, when it some other hapless girl from a Sikh background.

God wakens us up in mysterious ways I guess.

This is a major shame for the Sikh community.

Exactly. That is exactly I was thinking when I first saw this thread. Quite sad, eh?

what needs to be done to "combat" extremists whom are trying to convert is that we need to educate our children, brothers and sisters about sikhi. I dont understand punjabi, as do a lot of sikhs nowadays, yet in the gurdwara everything is in punjabi. Ok its getting better with those sikhitothemax translations which are used every sunday. But katha/talks are still done in punjabi.

Let me describe the typical visit to the gurdwara for a mona sikh who doesnt know anything about sikhi, and hardly speaks punjabi. He will walk in, take his shoes off, cover his head, wash his hands cos his dad says its something he is supposed to do. He will be given some money then go into the darbar hall bow before guruji (to him it will just seem like a book) he will go and sit down. Listen to the paath which he wont understand, listen to the katha which he wont understand. eat some prashad and langar then go home and watch tv.

ok maybe thats a slight exaggeration,if i am honest this is what it was like for me and all my cousins cos nobody is religious in my family. infact i am the only one into sikhi.

We should have talks in english because we are living in england. Then a lot of the kids would understand what is being said, they will learn something about their great religion. Translation of the paath should be up as it is being read. Teach some people how to use the sikhitothemax powerpoint stuff.

There should be free leaflets/booklets at the entrance which teach people about sikhisms philosophy,beliefs. how we differ from islam, hinduism etc. perhaps even have the gurdwaras in each city send information/leaflets about sikhi to the houses of sikhs every month. Everyone should come to the gurdwara not only to worship, but to gain the divine knowledge of the gurus which they passed to us. We need to educate our people, most sikh families whom arent amritdhari know so little about sikhi, about why we do this and that.

anyways i am sorry if i have offended anyone with the things that i have posted, they are just my beliefs from my life experiences. and they are just some ideas as to how to solve it. I really do think education is the key. We dont have to convert, but we have a right to teach and educate those whom come to see guruji about the teachings. Its not good enuogh just to say we hold a weekly sikhi class etc cos half of them wont turn up.

Malkeet, you have made some fair comments. However, I must add that barriers between the ultimate truth and your soul are only created by your own self. Several years ago I could not speak Punjabi, forget about even reading Gurmukhi. But when you start stepping on the path of the Bhagat an inner interest opens up, the pull get's stronger and stronger until you realise that you have been here before. When we first learn banis like Sri Jaap Sahib at first they seem near impossible but as the months go on the bani becomes more familiar and as the years go on the bani becomes automated. The thing is it takes time, a long time and Divine revelations do not come overnight for mere mortals like you and me. I think it gives us comfort to pass blame to the Granthi or the Katha Vachak or other Amritdharis or Muslims/Hindus because utilimately only the individual is responsible for his/her distance from the Truth.

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa
*** MOD NOTE - PART OF POST DELETED ***

Anyway, I agree what some people said about needing to address this issue more openly and educating the youth about Sikhi. Remember people, the only way to beat a bully is to stand up against a bully by any means necessary.

Whats about the great gursikhs like Bhai Fauja Singh, Bhai Sukhdev Singh and other countless gursikhs who supported the jatha????? (They sacraficed their lives for the khalsa panth)

*** MOD NOTE - PART OF POST DELETED ***

Whats about the great gursikhs like Bhai Fauja Singh, Bhai Sukhdev Singh and other countless gursikhs who supported the jatha????? (They sacraficed their lives for the khalsa panth)

*** MOD NOTE - DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A JATTHA DEBATE ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxA3buFxtg

waheguru jio.. this the link for the news

we shudnt judge just yet! .. we need to know thre full story.. something bad has happened and can tell !! ... waheguru jio

guru jis kirpa... do ardasss all in maharajs hands!

i feel support group need to be made bibiya. and a lot more education

DHAN DHAN GURU PYAAREH ... THE BIBIYA FROM MIR MANNUS JAIL!! .... how must they feel?

waheguru ji knows whats happening... all in his hukam!!

bhull chukk maaf

There are two solutions of solving this problem:

1) Educating Sikh youths and talking about this issue more openly to the public.

2) Sending a message to non-Sikhs that if they mess with the Sikh community, then they will pay the consequences either by word or by force.

To solve a problem one must first identify the cause:

1. The muslims man use the "Love" and "romance" and "bollywood film love story" tactic's on unsuspecting non-muslims girls.

2. Muslims family 99% of the time allow their children to marry any other race/religion as long as they convert to islam.

3. Sikhs families (especially with a punjabi background) are not open to their children marrying other race even though their children's non-sikh partner accept's the Sikh faith.

4. Muslims man and women are "encouraged" to marry other race/religion in the aim to propogate Islam and the muslim population. Islam's aim is to covert the whole world to islam.

5. Generally Sikh families are too enclosed and controlling. This makes their children rebel.

6. Sikhs families themselves do not know enough about Gurbani so how are they able to teach their children.?

7. Majority of the Universities do not have strong Gurbani Parchaar Society or even lack formation of "Sikh Society".

8. Sikhs families do not even really truly understand the Sikh Ardas!!.

etc

etc

etc