Why do so many Canadian Sikhs try to speak with "blaccents"?

I have noticed that many (maybe even a majority) of Canadian Sikhs try to speak the way American Blacks are stereotyped to speak. This is also true for many "famous" Canadian Sikhs (think of "superwoman" and other various youtube "stars") .

Why do they do this? American Sikhs know how ridiculous and absurd it would look for them to go around talking in such a way. I don't understand why Canadians do this.

Maybe because Canada doesn't have any real "hoods," they think attempting to sound like you are from the "hood" is cool, and they know nobody will call them out on it?

Maybe Canadians are in general so used to not having their own identity and living vicariously through others that they think it's natural to shamelessly imitate other people?

Maybe most Canadians are just corny?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe because Jats are the only remaining group who are still actively alpha amongst the Sikh community.  We could also ask why are Jats the only group to aggressively take on Delhi in the protests.  

How much steroids and coke do these jut peasants need to take to make them feel alpha????  hahahahahaaaa!

Don’t say that bro you’re gonna hurt feelings of a certain ‘DollySingh’.  He still a hasn’t got over when his tribe got told leave by a few Kaleh armed with only sticks and stones from ‘Wakanda’.  Suc

Posted Images

It started in the 90’s when there was a surge in first generation Punjabi kids coming of age from the post-84 immigration wave. The previous generation was vastly fewer in numbers and subconsciously accepted WASP lifestyle as the default. You will encounter that generation today as having a much more “Canadian” accent with “ya know eh” usage (now mind you they are in their 40s and 50s  and plus now).

The newer generation was less willing to put up with the blunt racism and honed in on an identity they felt was the best counter to the dominant culture. This gave rise to the gansta, Punjabi mafia, all that bull crap. It just continued down generationally to today.

This had devastating impact on the level of higher studies Punjabi kids pursued and also lead to a large gang problem in Lower Mainland BC  and to a lesser extant Toronto/Brampton side. . These kids emulated the black hood culture American media portrayed. They got what they wanted with gang related deaths a common feature in Surrey, Vancouver, Abbotsford.

Too bad nobody thought of showing them what the real hood is like US cities. Would have scared them straight.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Like this guy?

you trying to take away my idenitee... bro you handed it away when you started talking like a bronx hoodrat SMH Waheguru akl  bakshde

• Haha 1

UK Sikhs aren't much different, a lot of the youth copy Jamiacans, at least in my day they did. You'd hear phrases like safe blud, seen, wagwan etc. Its just to sound 'cool  some of them have even picked up the jafaican accent.

Speaking like this won't get you far in life.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Maybe b/c a lot of the blacks have the guts to stand up to the whites.

Blacks here in Toronto respect Sikhs/Punjabi's. 

My boy who is black and a Filipino friend were ready to pounce on this big white dude b/c he was calling me out. But I avoided the situation b/c he was with his girl and she could've called the cops. 

As far speech goes, nothing wrong with this as long it's not offensive or derogatory. 

US is more wild in terms of the "hoods" b/c you guys have a bigger a population. In Toronto we have some tough neighbourhoods but that's whole different story. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
5 hours ago, Jai Tegang! said:

The newer generation was less willing to put up with the blunt racism and honed in on an identity they felt was the best counter to the dominant culture. This gave rise to the gansta, Punjabi mafia, all that bull crap. It just continued down generationally to today.

Why has 'Jut culture' so heavily brought into this? To the point that Jut boys from rich families in Canada try and live 'gangsta'. I'd love some some elaboration. 

This includes hard drug dealing and murdering other Sikhs over this???

• Downvote 2
1 hour ago, jjs8 said:

Maybe b/c a lot of the blacks have the guts to stand up to the whites.

I think this is what it boils down to. 

A lot of apnay Panjabis, despite all their bullshyte, seem to have a deeply rooted inferiority complex (intergenerationally within their families) to goray. Probably stems from being descendants of sepoys in their colonial armies??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

If my understanding is correct. Canada's black community predominantly is Afro-Caribbean so is quite similar to UK's black community which has an Afro-Caribbean presence . 

So the patois lingo they must be familiar to them if anyone remembers this:

Is the blaccent that common?

Does it happen outside of North America?

Here most people sound normal cause they don't like these black people. (although some people say my Australian accent is stronger than avarage now and then). But we don't have black people from the hood, we have eshays and they are much worse.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Kaurr said:

Is the blaccent that common?

Does it happen outside of North America?

Here most people sound normal cause they don't like these black people. (although some people say my Australian accent is stronger than avarage now and then). But we don't have black people from the hood, we have eshays and they are much worse.

There is an ethnic Australian accent. You hear it with Pacific Islanders and some of those Lebanese.

• Like 1